September 14, 9PM, WELCOME TO OIG!
- Welcome to OIG!
- OIG Board Member Introductions (President: Alyssa Martin, 2010; Portfolio Manager: Nathalie Schallock, 2010; Treasurer: Sasha Bereznak, 2011; Secretary: Lilly Amirhekmat; Publicity Officers: Jill Settlemyer, 2010 and Yufan Wang, 2011)
- Club and New Member Introductions
- Seated in a circle, all new and returning OIG members introduced themselves. It was quite a large group of beautiful, strong, and sophisticated women eager to learn about the current economy, the broader financial markets, investing in stocks and bonds, managing a portfolio, and tons more! It’s going to be a great year girls!
- “The Stock Draw”
- Each member then wrote down the name of a company they would be interested in investing in (regardless of how much they actually knew about the company)… the slips of paper containing company names were placed in the raffle pile… then one company was drawn…
- ***The purpose of “the stock draw” was to teach a lesson and glimpse at what trading securities in a financial market is like. The lesson is that there is a lot of risk involved, and you never know what to expect when you are trading or investing in a stock (especially if it’s a start-up company)… but that’s okay! Without taking risks, in fear that you might lose, you’ll never have the chance at winning big! Besides, a lovely anonymous alumnus donated $100,000 to OIG specifically for the purpose of providing students with the opportunity to practice the tools of trading and investing in securities, without the fear of incurring great losses that would affect them personally. So, don’t be shy, shout out your suggestions, and let’s try them out! J Who knows, your “high risk” suggestion might reap great rewards!
- Welcome to OIG!
((We will be learning more about trading as the year progresses… for now, I recently came across this website on trading in case you’d like to check it out: http://www.cmsfx.com/en/forex-education/online-forex-course/chapter-3-technical-tools/risk-management-creating-trading-methodolgy/ ))
- Nathalie presents OIG’s first newsletter of the year! An insider’s look at how our portfolio is doing and a brief overview of current economic issues. Check out the newsletter section of the blog to find the link to this month’s first newsletter, and be on the look out for our next issue – expected to come out later this month! (OIG newsletter will be published on a bimonthly basis; Questions: Nschallock@brynmawr.edu)
- Lilly discusses this here blog and addresses a major goal of OIG this year being to increase participation and communication amongst the members of OIG via the blog. We encourage all members to actively be checking the blog for important information regarding OIG, the current economy, etc.
- Anna presents “Subprime: The Musical”…a super fun way to learn about the economy! More to come next time… stay tuned and we hope to see you next time at OIG!
- Monday nights, 9 PM, Dalton 119 (note the room change!!**)
- Our Next meeting will feature the annual OIG INTERNSHIP PANEL!! Monday, September 21st, 9PM, DALTON 119 !!! Come to OIG to hear about what some of your peers did over the summer relating to careers in finance! What better way to learn and pick up some valuable information when you can kick back, relax, and have fun with your fellow members of OIG! J